Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Advocacy

As author of The BugaBees: Friends with Food Allergies, I often have the opportunity to talk with schools and community groups about the book, as well as the topic of food safety in general. I am almost always asked the same inevitable question regarding why the prevalence of food allergies is on the rise. My typical answer: I wish I knew!

The good news is, researchers around the world are currently searching for new therapies to treat, and one day cure, food allergies. Many scientists believe that with proper funding, a cure could be found in less than a decade. Unfortunately, food allergy research in comparison to autism and other similar afflictions is at present grossly underfunded and in need of dire some attention.

As such, I was excited to recently discover that the Food Allergy Initiative has made it easier than ever to send a letter to Congress requesting funding for food allergy research. It takes less than two minutes! Log on and let your voice be heard at
FAI Advocacy and be sure to share this link with others who want to help. Yeah!

1 comment: