Sunday, July 17, 2011

Take the Time



After learning to manage my daughter's food allergies for many years now, I have to admit, I'm still surprised by the crazy places food allergen warnings pop up on labels.

This weekend it was on a package of carrots and ranch dip at the Target snack bar. It had been a long day of running errands and I was trying to find for something remotely healthy to feed the kids on the go. I actually bought the item first, but then thankfully remembered to check before we opened it. Sure enough, processed in a plant that also process peanuts. Wow! We also recently had a close call with some mango sorbet one of my most diligent friends brought over for a cookout. And the Culver's burgers we have been eating for years just recently popped up with a tree nut warning on their food allergen menu. That was a sad day for sure!!

If you're like me, with a million and one things to keep track of, it can be easy to forget to check ingredients from time to time. So while I am thanking my lucky stars we managed to stay safe on all of these occasions, and wanted to share this little reminder with others. When you're racing around trying to keep up with life, please remember to TAKE THE TIME. Read labels. Ask the waiter. Plan ahead. Keep your kids safe.

One of my favorite children's books of all time shares this universal message. "Is There Really a Human Race" by Jamie Lee Curtis reminds us all to SLOW DOWN and remember what's most important in life.

Sometimes it's better not to go fast.
There are beautiful sights to see when you're last.

Shouldn't it be that you just try your best?
And that's more important than beating the rest?

Shouldn't it be looking back at the end
that you judge your own race by the help that you lend?

Right on, Jamie. Thanks for helping remind me that time is precious and meant to be used well. I think I'll set some aside to read this story to my beautiful children tonight. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment